Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medication. Never prior to have many scientific developments and new methods emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers countless individuals the opportunity to decrease or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and pain-free method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist guarantee that you will more than happy with your results?
The crucial to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting referrals from other physicians or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be tricked by why not try here expensive ads about a particular laser. Select the medical professional, not the laser center. Find out who will really do your treatment, then inquire about that physician's qualifications (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Choose a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a doctor doesn't know can harm you.
4. Request info on your physician's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your doctor won't tell you, discover another one. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what steps are taken to prevent infection. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Beware of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as great as a discount parachute.
7. Expect to see effectively after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see perfectly. Each client gets a somewhat different outcome. The best cosmetic surgeon worldwide can't ensure 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as private as each client. Beware of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not buying a automobile; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably provide much better vision than LASIK. Think about waiting till the new lenses are offered. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the advantages: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has enhanced the vision of countless people around the world.